Metcalfe Bond Stores
The Metcalfe Bond Stores are located on George Street at The Rocks in
Sydney. These warehouses were known as Bond Stores , where goods remained in the storage until importers paid
the customs duty on them.
The Metcalfe warehouses were named in honour of its founder, Michael Metcalfe (1813-1890), a prominent Sydney
merchant who was one of the original founders of the Australian
Steam Navigation Company (ASN).
Following the demise of ASN, Metcalfe was responsible for the building of the Metcalfe stores on land
leased to them for 50 years by the government. The government also stipulated in the lease
agreement that at least one of the buildings had to be valued at £10,000. The stores replaced a three storey
warehouse used by Upward & Co but which were demolished in 1912 to make way for the formation of Hickson
Road. The Federation warehouses were built between 1912-1916 and comprises of two adjacent buildings. The exterior
walls are built from load bearing red brick with minimal darker brick outlines. The first of the bond stores was
built in 1912 and is seven bays long and is three storeys high to George Street and five storeys to Hickson Road.
The second building was built in 1916 and is nine bays long and is also three storeys high to George Street and
five storeys to Hickson Road. The site of the bond stores is on the former garden and orchard of Robert Campbell's Wharf House (1800-1883) and later
site of a quarry. Interestingly the quarry provided the sandstone for many of the early buildings in The
Rocks area. When the 50 year lease conclude ownership fell back into the hands of the government but
When the 50 year lease concluded, ownership was placed back in the hands of the NSW Government as part of
the Darling Harbour Resumptions, following the outbreak of the bubonic plague. Upward & Co, however
stayed on as tenants . In 1970 ownership of the building was passed to the SCRA (Sydney Cove Authority) after
which they commenced converting the warehouses into office and retail space.