Milsons Point is located near the northern end of the Sydney Harbour
Bridge in Sydney's North Shore.Two Aboriginal groups, the Wallumedegal and the Cammeraygal inhabited the North
Shore before the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788. The Wallumedegals lived near Milsons Point where they
hunted, fished and canoed around the harbour. Most of the Qallumedegals died during a smallpox epidemic in
In 1806 James Milson was granted land in the area shortly after arriving to the colony from England. Milson
built a cottage which he named the Milk House and set up a dairy cattle farm. He made his living by supplying the
ships anchored in the harbour with milk and beef.
Access from the city to Milsons Point was first provided by watermen, paddlesteamers and ferries and later in
1886 the first cable tramway was opened from Milsons Point to St Leonards Park in North Sydney. The first ferry
service from the city to Milsons Point was run by harbour waterman, Billy Blue, from 1817-1834. Billy Blue was a
convict that was sent to the Colonies after stealing sugar.
Things You May Not Know About Milsons Point
The postcode for Milsons Point is 2061
Luna Park is one of the major attractions of the area.
The North Sydney Olympic Pool was filled using treated and filtered sea water that was pumped in from the