North Sydney Olympic Pool
The North Sydney Olympic Pool is located at Milsons Point near the base of
the northern side of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The pool was built in 1936 in Stripped Classical Functionalist
style by architects Rudder and Grout. The pool was completed in 32 weeks at a cost of 47,000 pounds. The North
Sydney Olympic Pool consisted of three entrances, a main pool, a children's pool, a grandstand, dressing
rooms, club and large sundeck.
The main pool was lit by eighteen 500 watt and six 1000 watt submerged lights and eight overhead flood lights.
The pool was filled using treated and filtered sea water that was pumped in from the harbour.In 1997 a competition
was held by the North Sydney Council for a national architectural design to redevelop the North Sydney Olympic
Pool. The aim of the competition was to transform the deteriorating state of the pool into a "State-of-the-Art"
aquatic facility but still respecting the pool's history, traditions and style. From the 50 entries received the
winning design went to Hassell.
The new pool opened in 2001 and featured a 25m indoor pool, splash pool, child care facilities, a renovated cafe
and restaurant, gymnasium, picnic areas, solar heating and hot water heat pumps.Today over 300,000 people visit the